Friday, March 5, 2010

Lesson Learned too Late?

I, like many others in this economy, am searching for a job. This week I was caught making a major mistake in my job search that left me red-faced.

Even worse, since it happened I've been busy updating my resume and online portfolio and realize that several grammatical mistakes should have caught my eye but did not.

The Story
I usually lurk around Big Shoes Network for job postings, being the skilled marketing and communications professional that I am.

Humble, too.

I found a posting for a local Milwaukee organization that seems like the perfect fit for my mad social media and multimedia skillz, not to mention a perfect complement to my witty, recently overly sassy personality (more on this in a minute).

I applied immediately.

Can't be too on top of these things, after all.

The problem?

Apparently, this personal adage is not true.

In an attempt to get my foot in the door, I actually got a mouthful of black leather pump as I promoted a new website I'm building for my Master's professional project.

"What's so wrong with that?" you ask.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

I'm glad you asked, because, you see, said website was not yet published. To add insult to injury, I've lately been rather sassy and over-confident in my writing. This seems to be great fun for my classmates, but sometimes not such a good idea for job searching.

The tone I set which promoted this project, while true to my personality and in line with the company's feel, only added to the injury of me breaking the cardinal rule of web development. While I was busy confidently proclaiming my domination of social media, and harnessing it's power for good, I also likely frustrated a prospective employer by not delivering on said awesomeness.

As Homer Simpson would say, "D'Oh!"

The Lesson
I consider this a lesson learned and to be filed away for future reference when applying for jobs.

On a good note, I used the opportunity to publish the aforementioned site, update my resume to fix the tense and voice issues, as well as fix a broken link on my online portfolio.

In the end, not such a bad experience if it has such a motivating conclusion, no?

No comments: