Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mighty Life List #21

Some would consider my Mighty Life List a Bucket List by another name. My opinion is that a Bucket List is too morose. We shouldn't be striving for these achievements simply because we hear the minutes of our mortality ticking away. A Bucket List is something people make up when they realize they've been sleepwalking through life for the past X amount of years, and now want to make sure they fulfill these accomplishments with the time they have left.

We should instead be simply striving to live life to the fullest every day, no matter what age we are. Death is just a part of life, not a deadline of adventure that we need to meet.

And so, with this mindset I created my Mighty Life List when I turned 25. I have no immediate plans for my life to end, and I am far too young for a midlife crisis. Quite simply, it's a list of things I have always wanted to try, accomplish, and/or learn because I am a curious person, and there's no time like the present.

As I was scanning through it today, I realized that I can check off #21. Last weekend, over the Easter holiday (Passover to my Jewish readers), my stepdad bought a kite for the little nephews to play with.

The kite was a jet plane from Sam's Club, came in a tube with a dozen small pole-like attachments, and no clear instructions. My stepdad and brother-in-law spent roughly 2 hours trying to figure out how to put the thing together. After what seemed like an eternity of my four-year-old nephew asking, "is my kite ready yet?" his kite was indeed ready.

Really, you can't blame him for being impatient when the thought of flying a jet plane kite has been planted in his head.

To be completely honest, I wasn't the one holding the string. But I'm going to count it any.

No comments: