Saturday, April 11, 2009

Lambeau Peeps: Green Bay Packer Peep Pictures

Intelligent Traveler Blog over at National Geographic Traveler is hosting a contest called "Peeps in Places." You may remember me mentioning it. As I am out of Milwaukee for the Easter weekend, I did my dutifully dutiful duty and took my peeps pictures in Green Bay. I enlisted the help of my parents, we racked our brains (wrack versus rack? answer here), and realized that the Green Bay Packers are the only iconic tourist attraction in town.

Being the good sports they always are (pun unintentional), my parents donned the mantle of shamelessness, and helped me set up shots in Lambeau Field, the Packers Hall of Fame, and Titletown Brewery. Sidenote: I don't care what you say, Green Bay is "Titletown." I'm talking to you, ESPN!

We were asked what the heck we were doing with the peeps only about a hundred times. Once, especially, when I tried to sweet talk (no pun intended) my way into the Hall of Fame to take a picture of a Lambeau Peep...I mean, Leap (pun intended).

All in all, the photos came out rather well, even though I did not have my own trusty Canon. They're on my Flickr page, but I figured I'd share them with you here in order to celebrate Easter, Green Bay style.


I call this one the "Peep Leap." In the Packers Hall of Fame, visitors can try their hand at a Lambeau Leap. Crowd noise is piped in when you hit the wall. This little peep isn't so sure he'll make it over.

This iconic Packer statue was located outside the Packers Hall of Fame before it moved into Lambeau Field after the stadium renovation. The statue has since been relocated to Titletown Brewery, a restaurant perfect for the visiting Packer fan in need of a good dinner. This receiver offers the perfect photo opportunity...turns out the football is not his goal, rather a delicious sugary peep is what he's after.

Outside of Lambeau Field are bronze statues of Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau. I asked Curly what he really wanted out of life. Being that he's made of bronze, he's not much of a talker, but he did happen to point to his heart's desire.

I call this one "Blue 52 peep." If you're a Packer fan, you know what I'm talking about. Bart Starr, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers - no matter the quarterback, instead of a pigskin, you're getting a peep.

No comments: