Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Accidental Environmentalist

Yesterday I was at the supermarket, and as I was idling through the aisles ("shopping is my cardio," as first spoken by Carrie Bradshaw) I took special notice of the items in my cart.

Spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, olives, whole wheat bread...

Notice anything?

Now, I don't proclaim to be a health nut. I like my chips and cookies just like the next girl, however, for some reason I kept gravitating toward the healthy foods.

Then came the checkout and the age old question, "Paper, or plastic?" The 'leave the water running while she brushes her teeth' girl inside of me just about died as I shook my head and handed over a large tote for my purchases. She died a little more (in spirit) as I walked out to my Toyota Prius.

That's when I noticed something...

I've become an Accidental Environmentalist!

I didn't mean for it to happen! I've never held any particular view on Global Warming, nor have I been overly concerned with a black bear's disappearing habitat. By the by, did you see that segment on the Today Show this morning? Scary!

I don't wear Birkenstocks, and I don't own anything made from hemp. It just seems as if I'm more aware of waste than I used to be. Not to mention that I cringe a little inside every time I see a Hummer speeding down the highway.

I first noticed these changes when I returned from Europe. And they seem to have snowballed since I purchased the Prius. Now I'm stuck in a downward spiral of conservation and there's little hope of escape.

So I guess I'll start shopping in the organic food store pretty soon. And I'll make sure my glass is separated by color before the recyclables are picked up. Not because I particularly want to, but because it's the next step in this sequence of Earth-saving. I am, after all, an Accidental Environmentalist.

No comments: