Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Novel Idea

It's no secret that I like to read. Anyone who's seen my "library" can attest to the fact that I have many books. I haven't read them all, but I'm working on it. Usually I'll come out of the bookstore with a few new books, with the best of intentions to read them, and then I'll get sidetracked when I make another trip to Barnes & Noble and find even more tomes.

Yes, it can be an expensive habit, but I rationalize it by telling myself reading is good. After all there are other, worse, habits on which I could spend my money. Nevermind that the library is within walking distance from my apartment.

Recently I've been reading a book by Marek Halter called, "Sarah: A Novel." It's the story of Abram and Sarai (later Abraham and Sarah) in novel form. The author takes a few liberties with adaptation, but the overall affect is a vivid depiction of life in the ancient world.

The story stays true to the Biblical text, with a few "interesting" embellishments (read: Lot's infatuation with Sarai), but I particularly enjoy how the author wove research of that time period into the Biblical story through geographical descriptions, food, dress, and ritual traditions.

It was good choice after a few harrowing days of reading, "God and Country: American in Red and Blue," which sounded like it would be an excellent read, however, was a bit cumbersome.

No comments: