Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Rules

On D's advice, I've added eHarmony to my online dating repertoire, and dropped Match.com. Match, according to D, is more of a buffet of dating options rather than a compatible menu. 

So now I am focusing on eHarmony and Chemistry to meet some new men. I wouldn't say I'm looking for a long-term relationship, I am merely hoping to meet new people and expand my dating experience. Come out of my dating shell, so to speak. 

So far, having low expectations has been a good thing. One cannot get one's hopes up with every potential match. Also, one mustn't take anything too personally when it comes to the guided communication processes. Thus, I feel I must set down some ground rules for myself regarding this online dating experience, especially if I want to get the most out of this experiment.

Rule #1: Barring any serious reservations, every potential match who initiates contact deserves to be given a chance. 
I'd do the same for any man who shows enough courage to ask me out face to face, and I feel this rule, especially in the spirit of the experiment, has the possibility of interesting results.

Rule #2: Don't take anything too seriously or too personally.
I want to begin communication but my potential match turns me down? Pas de probleme, my friends. His loss. After all, it's not like I'm hoping to find a husband here, which brings me to...

Rule #3: Don't expect too much from online dating.
Expanding my horizons and having something interesting to blog about, these are the two main objectives of my foray into the world of Internets dating. 

Tune in next time when I discuss initial observations regarding eHarmony and Chemistry, as well as first experiences in the matching and guided communication processes. It's starting to get interesting.

No comments: