Friday, October 1, 2010

#mff2 Part 2 - A MUST SEE

I spent last night with the Milwaukee Film Festival in a double feature at North Shore. In my #mff2 Part 3 post I'll elaborate on the first film of the evening, Katalin Varga, but first I had to rush home and tell you about a MUST SEE film for Saturday.

Beware. This film is fantastic.

And I don't say that too often. In fact, that's what I'm loving about the film festival - finally not being burned. I can't tell you how many times in the past year I've gone to a mainstream film and been disappointed. So far, I haven't been disappointed by any films I've seen at the festival.

So, I repeat.

This.

Film.

Is.

Extraordinary.



Hipsters

This 2008 Russian musical takes place in 1955 Moscow - the height of Communist power - where a subsect of Russian youth adopt Western pop culture, even under fear of ostracism, beatings, and arrest.

On the surface it's a love story, but at heart it's a tribute to a culture I'm not sure we Americans can fully comprehend.

Can you imagine living your life as you are right now, but with the constant fear that it will land you in jail, or worse? Would you have the courage to dress as you do, or more, say the things you do if it meant social and political ostracism, usually directly tied to the future well-being of you and your family?

But that's not entirely what makes this film so fabulous.

The cinematography is absolutely a feast for the eyes, and it does for 1955 Moscow what Mad Men does for 1960's New York.

Furthermore, the music is divine. You don't have to understand Russian to want to buy this soundtrack, play it ad nauseum, and sing along at the top of your lungs.

Go.

See.

This.

Film!

Saturday, October 2nd - 9:15 PM
Oriental Theater, Milwaukee
(You can see it right after The Milwaukee Show and right before The Best Damn F*#@ing Midnight Program Ever. Sh*t. to round out a truly spectacular Saturday night)

No comments: