Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Did I Forget to mention...

Oh, did I forget to mention the firey explosion of doom we here in Sopron experienced just last Friday? Terribly sorry, let me reiterate...

So I'm in my flat. I enjoy my flat. It's a nice flat. Unfortunately, there is some road construction right outside my window. Normally this does not bother me as I am at school when the workers are working, constructing, whathaveyou. Today was the exception.

First I must explain something about the country of Hungary. As we all know they were communist until the early 90's. Before that they were busy fighting wars. Amidst the chaos many roads were built, pipes were buried, etc...and let's just say the documentation of such work was, well, dodgy (as I so abruptly found out on Friday).

So imagine my surprise when I walk home from school and see a blaze of fire, the likes of which I cannot even describe in this humble blog. Furnace of doom would be apt, but it wasn't really a furnace as it was outdoors and down the street. I'd have to say it was closer to the Homecoming bonfire we had in High School only bigger. Much bigger.

What caused this blaze you may ask? Well, it turns out that the poorly documented gas pipeline under the street (which the workers were digging up with jackhammers and sometimes their barehands...I have pictures) was hit by an unsuspecting bulldozer. Does that smell funny? Like gas? Why yes it does!

Indeed, the smell gave it away and the gas was shut off. Unfortunately that is not the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would like to tell it, no. You see gas remains in the pipeline and the gas that remained in this pipeline was set off and a blaze erupted. The aforementioned furnace of doom. Luckily no one was injured, but much chaos was to be had.

If only they had called Diggers Hotline.

If only Diggers Hotline existed here.

2 comments:

Chris Carter said...

HA! Well, at least none of your belongings joined Shadrack, Mishack and Abednigo in the fiery furnace...oh wait, wrong time period.

This was a great story

Mandi said...

Or, if you're a fan of Veggie Tales (which I am) it's "Rack, Shack and Bennie.

Haha.