Sunday, March 29, 2009

Questions this weekend left me

I spent the weekend at a friend's house enjoying a TV and movie marathon, as well as too much food as is humanly possible to consume in two days. As I sit here contemplating the events of days past, I am left with the following questions:

1. It snowed yesterday. In Wisconsin. On March 28th. Not only is this unacceptable, but it leaves me wondering...will the geese start flying south again?

2. Rather than cook breakfast this morning, we were so lazy that we shoveled off our cars and drove to the Flat Top Grill (of which you can read a review by my friend here). The restaurant boasts a mongolian barbeque dinner by night, and a mongolian breakfast barbeque by day. In other words, they provide you with a host of mixings and you can create your own pancake, french toast, or omelette made-to-order. While the breakfast was crazy delicious (like Mr. Pibb + Red Vines), it left me wondering...can one die from eating a pancake made from an entire bowl of chocolate chips and Reese's peanut butter cups? (the answer is an uncomfortable no)

3. We watched The Shining on Saturday night, because I had never seen it in it's entirety. In fact, the only part I've seen was the kid on the big wheel staring at the twin girls as they said, "Come play with us!" right before the twister took out the drive-in movie theater. Yes, that's right. The only part of The Shining that I saw was the clip shown in the movie Twister. Gotta love that Helen Hunt classic.

Anyway, after viewing that cinematic gem I had to wind down a bit before going to bed. I mean, who wouldn't have to wind down after having their nerves shot by listening to the nails-on-chalkboard shrieking of Shelley Duvall?
Short story long is that I started reading Twilight for the first time. I am now 100 pages in and have already found ripoffs of three major TV shows and movies. My question is this: Does anyone really believe the author when she says she wrote her sci-fi/paranormal love story without knowing anything about the mainstream, pop culture sci-fi/paranormal love stories that came before it? (the answer should be no)

No comments: