Tuesday, September 13, 2005

It's a Good Thing.

So I've started to read the Bible because I've always heard the Bible stories and I've been taught them my whole life, but I've never read all of them for myself. I'm into Leviticus and it sounds boring, but I just can't get enough! I read all of the commands God gave the Israelites in the OT and instead of being tedious and boring, I picture what it was like living in that time, why God worded the commands as He did, what they people were like, etc. I'm enthralled by history and the Bible is quite the goldmine.

I've tried reading the Bible many many times in my life. I've done the New Testament for class, but whenever I got to the OT I found it so boring. All of the "begats" and "commanded thems" and such. But now I find it fascinating. How cool is that?

It probably helps that I'm reading a New Living Translation instead of a New King James. I would recommend the NLT to anyone who wants to read the Bible for that is what this version intended. The translators intended to make the Bible accessible to people today...they translated it into words and language that we would understand today. As Martha would say, "It's a good thing."

No comments: