Thursday, February 5, 2009

JS article on college students losing job offers

I just read this article in the Journal Sentinel on how some employers are rescinding job offers to college students due to these difficult economic times.

I find it interesting that the reporter chose a native of India as her featured college student. The student is in the U.S. on a student visa, and instead of graduating in December as scheduled, when his offer of employment at Caterpillar was rescinded, he signed up for more classes in order to avoid visa expiration and having to leave the country.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm not saying it's good. I'm just saying that it's interesting the reporter chose his story over, what I'm sure, are numerous cases of U.S. students facing similar troubles. With so many local manufacturing and engineering jobs being lost overseas - to India, for one - the reporter took a risk in receiving backlash in nativist sentiments against this student's dilemma.

Again, not saying it's bad or that this student doesn't have a right to gainful employment in the U.S. I'm just saying it's interesting.

No comments: