Friday, February 13, 2009

Thoughts about VD

Hah! I bet you thought I was going to be talking about venereal disease in today's blog episode. Well, dear reader, you are wrong.

The "VD" to which I refer is Valentine's Day, which, I suppose has enough VD (the former) to go around.

Generally, I am not a fan of Valentine's Day, even the one time I happened to be dating someone at Valentine's Day. Proponents of VD will say, "it's a holiday based on the life of a saint by the name of Valentine." Bah. There were several saints named Valentine, and none of them had anything to do with sentimental love. Only martyrdom.

I digress. Today I have some thoughts about VD:

1. Horror movies are the best way to celebrate VD.

2. I'm slightly confused as to why marketers would latch onto this holiday so vehemently. Why pin your hopes for a high profit on a holiday that, by its very nature, assures you the loss of the business of a large percentage of the population?

3. Grocery shopping the day before VD is a depressing affair. All men in the store take the same path - floral section, candy aisle, card aisle. I couldn't look them in the eye tonight; it was just too sad.

4. Giving away handguns with the purchase of jewelry is a very bad idea.

5. Couples should be encouraged to be nice to their significant others every day of the year, not just February 14th.

Those are my thoughts. Tomorrow a friend of mine is having a belly dancing party, and afterward the single ladies are heading to the Hook Up or Throw Up at MadPlanet. Although attendees are not required to hook up or throw up, it's sure to be a fun shindig.

Before I go, in somewhat related news, Jim Stingl, Columnist at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, wrote a very interesting column today on an ill-fated love story. It is both creepy yet touching, and I don't know how he accomplished this.

1 comment:

purview24 said...

Definitely agree with #1, although the gf isn't a fan...